Fed up with crappy and bulky desktop environments that recent Linux distributions (like Fedora, Ubuntu) provides then ArchLinux is the way to go! If you appreciate freedom of selection of what you want in your system, if you want to stay on bleeding edge, if you want to “keep it simple, stupid” (KISS), then ArchLinux is the way to go!
What Is It
What Is Different
- Simple, stupid philosophy — minimal installer
- Rolling release model — always up to date, instead of periodic release
- Fast package manager — Pacman
- Best documented wiki site — ArchWiki
- You are master — You do everything starting from lowest level configuration
The Rise of “Worse is Better”,
Getting to basic command-line will take at-least couple of hours but you get to enjoy ride with ultimate beauty of sophistication that simplicity offers! You partition the system, mount the drives, install base system, install boot loader, configure hostname, configure pacman, and add user. Then all the way to a full fledged X and Desktop Environment of your choice! Giving a initial try in virtual environment is always safer!
You get latest and greatest of all Linux packages.
- For fairly experienced Linux users
- Asks for that little extra — time and effort
- For i686/x86_64 only — some effort for ARM is ongoing
- Can be a problematic if you have to do it all again — e.g. crashed machine
But it something amazing, an opportunity to work with what you love, with amazingly fast package manager and to stay on bleeding edge to rule the world 🙂